Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Final Countdown

Here we are, just days away from the big day.  Only 4 days left to train.  Yes, I have tapered and will only do 3 short runs this week (first one this morning), but the training that's going on in my head is endless and tiring and more strenuous than the miles I run.  I think running is 90% mental and 10% whatever the rest of your body can do.  At least it is for me.

It's amazing how many times I find myself talking (outloud) when I run by myself, "You can do it, Rachel.  For crying out loud, STOP WHINING!  It's NOT going to kill you!  You only THINK you're too tired to keep going!  Don't be such a wimp!"  Did I really just admit that I have to lecture myself OUT LOUD during a run?  WOW!

Saturday was my last long run.  11.2 miles of amazing run time!  I only stopped because it was dark and Ryan was following me in the car :(  It was like the best ever!  I have never felt so strong and alive when I run as I did that night.  I'm sure there were many factors that led to my success this time, but the biggest one had to have been the food I ate for 3 days before that.

I've been following a low carb diet for about 4 or 5 months now and this last weekend was mine and Ryan's anniversary so we ate all kinds of yummy stuff that I don't really eat anymore.  Pizza, ice cream, bread - lots of bread!! - waffles, muffins, and . . . need I say more?  Anyhow, you can see that I was probably on carb overload for the weekend.  Now, I don't intend to go back to eating all those things all the time, however, I think it's time to add some of them back into my diet - all in moderation, of course.  I'm thinking that starting this Friday, I am going to eat all the same things I ate last weekend up until race time :)  I plan to eat waffles for dinner Saturday and then go straight to bed so the glycogen will be nice and stored away for use the next morning :)  Call me crazy, but I think it just might work!

So there you have it.  4 days left and I feel ready.  As ready as I probably ever will be.  Bring it on 13.1!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! I'm so excited for your big day! You'll be great and I think waffles is an excellent plan. Glad you liked the Run Momma Run blog. I get so much inspiration from other runners, like yourself, and learning about their challenges, accomplishments and how they find time to get out there and pound the pavement in search of their dreams. Rock it, girlfriend. ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, almost forgot... stop by and say hi between 4 and 6 at 5th street market during packet pick up. I'll be sharing a table with Sarah Bowen Shea who wrote Run Like a Mother. She'll read from the book at 4:00. You might have already heard about it, but just thought I'd let you know. I would LOVE to meet you.

    ReplyDelete